Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Pope Family Tradition

Alta, Christmas 2010
Every year before Christmas my family gets together in my grandpa’s big cabin on the 23rd of December to celebrate Christmas. We play, laugh, smile and just have tons of fun spending our time with each other. I think everyone’s favorite part is when Santa comes and brings all of the kids presents.

We have a wonderful dinner that takes hours of effort from my mom to make every detail flawless. From the perfectly cooked prime rib roast to the golden brown mouthwatering rolls that come fresh out of the oven. The tables are decorated with red and green place mats and shimmering wine glasses with not even a fingerprint on them. I like sitting at the brown circular table in the corner with my favorite cousins, while we eat away and chat about our excitement for Christmas day. Our plates couldn’t be filled more, mountains of smashed potatoes, ruby red pomegranate seeds and delicious steamed French beans.
2014 Christmas 

There is always white snow on the mountains with dark green pine trees peppered across it. The special thing is one of those trees high on the mountain is covered in beautiful Christmas lights, wowing everybody who looks at it. Our log cabin is big and dark brown with a line of multicolored Christmas lights all across the roofs edge. In the backyard there’s small pond that glistens in the moonlight. In side is where all the fun is. There is always a big red fire in the fireplace and above hangs 21 festive stockings, one for each of the grandchildren. I especially love our Christmas tree with its assorted ornaments and its striking lights; it really sets the Christmas mood.

All of the kids always wait to hear grandpa’s voice saying, “ come downstairs Santa Claus is coming.” We quickly rush downstairs excitedly to sit on the big red couch and sing Christmas carols, because Santa Clause wont come unless he hears us sing. We sing all of our favorite carols like “Santa Clause Is Coming To Town”, and “Up On The Rooftop”. Everyone joins in enthusiastically even though some of us have horrible voices. When he finally hears us, he slowly comes in from the front door and all of the little kids scream and laugh. Then every kid gets to sit on Santa’s lap talk to him and get a present. You can just see the excitement in the kids as they sit on Santa’s lap. When it’s my turn to sit on his lap I can really see his big wide smile and his eyes always have a twinkle. He does actually have a real white beard, because one year my cousin Lilli pulled on it to see if it was real.

 I used to believe when I was young that he was the real Santa but know I know he’s just pretending. One time my cousin Hannah’s family’s presents were wrapped in toilet paper, that totally gave it away; that doesn’t seem like Santa but it sure does seem like my uncle Jeff.

When the afternoon starts to become late and the house is trashed with a mountain of dishes in the sink and wrapping paper everywhere possible. The parents say its time to go home and none of the kids want to leave but they know their going to fall asleep anyway. Every year I always look forward to sitting on Santa’s lap and spending time with my amazing family.

No comments:

Post a Comment