Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Getting Use to Kenya


By Kesley Pope
Kenya has been soo fun and also crazy. It was so hard leaving Utah and my friends and family but I know I won't regret the decision coming to Africa.
     My flights were from, Utah to Detroit from Detroit to Amsterdam from Amsterdam to Nairobi from Nairobi to Mombasa. It was so boring. From Utah to Detroit I could not stop crying I was so sad to say goodbye to my friends and family! I got my self together and said this trip is going to be so cool. I slept every single long flight which was so nice.
     Once i got to Mombasa I got off my plane and it was so humid, I felt wet! I asked myself, "how am I suppose to get used to this?"  So I get my bags and I see Natalie and Jason waiting for me.  It's about midnight! It gave me such a relief. When we were driving home I thought I was going to die driving with Jason! There are not a lot of rules with driving here which I am still not used to! But I just couldn't get off my mind, I was just so excited to see Porter, Alta and Everett. We get to the apartment I walk in and i give all the kids a hug! Natalie says "Get to bed you have church tomorrow!" I was like are you serious?! I'm gunna be so tired!
     My first day at church was NOT what I expected. I expected a normal church but, no. This church has about 40 people in our branch.  It's super hot and they don't really know what they're doing! It's really different but I actually really enjoy this church, it's really interesting! The one thing that is a little odd is that women are so open with breast feeding there children here. If there child is crying then your gunna see something that's a little different then what people do in America.
 
  Everything is just happening so fast! Its only my 2nd day and it's my 1st day of school! I was super nervous not going to lie! I get to school Natalie takes a "First day of school picture!" I go and get my classes all organized and right as i walk in all the girls, there's about 9, say "Hey American come sit next to us!" The girls there are all super interesting here and there all soooo nice! They ask me " Do you have Facebook?" I was like, wow you guys are so last year;).  Anyway they are such smart girls and make me wanna do so good this term. It will be a big challenge, I can already tell! Just because Mapleton Junior High is just what I'm so used to and making a change from going to the American system to the British is so hard but that won't get in my way.
     My first weekend here was a blast!! We woke up around 9 and went to the beach! My first time!! I was so excited! Right as we get there we got out the paddle boards! It was amazing! Right after the day at the beach me, Alta, and Porter went to the pool to tan... Not a good idea! We got the coconut oil going on! Oh I did not think the sun over here was so strong. Adding that I haven't seen the sun for about 3 months. From the long day in the sun I  came back home and I realized how sunburned I was! I could not move for 3 days it was horrible! Its been about a week and a half now and I'm still peeling! Then of course the Fairbourne's decide to go paint balling with some friends! I knew it was going to be so painful adding that I was soo sun burnt! It did end up being really fun though! My next weekend wasn't to great,  I was so sick from Wednesday-Saturday.  We were not for sure what it was but it was miserable! 
    Africa has been so great so far! Ive realized Africa is not meant for woozy and I'm looking forward to everything that's coming my way! 


     
     

2 comments:

  1. great report. Keep them coming. Everyone at home is anxious to hear your impressions of what you are seeing and experiencing. I am sure that there are a few bugs (germs) over there that you are not used to. Sorry to hear that you had a few down days. Love you. Grandpa P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kes, I love your attitude! It sounds like you are being positive about your experiences. I am very proud of you. I know that your parents miss you very much and are looking forward to April. I have a valentine box all ready for you and yet I got sick and in the hospital again and so I still need to mail it. So, it will be late. Keep posting things so I can see what you are doing! I love and miss you! Grandma Spencer

    ReplyDelete