Monday, June 29, 2015

Huashan Mountain by Alta Fairbourne

It was foggy, rainy, windy and freezing cold but that didn’t stop us. When we reached the top of the mountain we headed straight for shelter, at the time we couldn’t enjoy the scenic views because we were so darn cold. We completely underestimated the weather; my dad was wearing short shorts with a tank top! If we were going to continue we needed some coats- big ones. We found a lady who was willing to rent us some gigantic army coats that reached down to our feet. It was still too rainy and windy to hike so we walked to nearby restaurant and had lunch.

The weather soon cleared and the mountains were beautiful. They had straight drop edges and the rock was light in color. Then we set off on our journey up and around the rocky mountain. The stone and wood path led to several peaks and lookouts but we were headed to The Plank Walk In The Sky. The Plank In The Sky is a mini hike where you walk on a small wooden path along the mountain hooked in a harness.  Its like a ropes course, but instead of 15 feet off the ground your 2000 feet off the ground.

Once we got there we started to doubt it. What if it might rain again? Will I freak out on and plunge to my death? I was looking forward to this hike and if I backed out now I would regret it. My dad, Porter and I got hooked into some harnesses and then we set off on the risky hike. While you walked you had to attach and detach your carabineers one at a time onto different sections. At the beginning of the hike you had to go down a steel ladder that had tons of people on it. It got really scary when you had to pass people along the way; sometimes I was on the very edge of the plank while people passed me. Some people took both of their carabiners  It was definitely one of the coolest things I have ever done; I also got over my fear of ropes courses. 
The pathways that we walked on that day had railings that were covered with red ribbons and locks. The ribbons symbolized luck and the locks symbolized love and family. We had all three that day and it was more than fun. If you ever go to China I highly recommend going to Huashan Mountain and going on The Plank Walk In The Sky, it was truly awesome!
Waiting out the bad weather


Our awesome coats





Porter on the Plank Walk to the Sky


Our Zen Cave



Mom looks like a hobo




Alta on the Plank walk to the Sky

1 comment:

  1. You were so brave, I got a little sick just reading about it.

    ReplyDelete